Friday, August 16, 2013

Update #1 (Summer Update)

Hello everyone and welcome! This is my first update in regards to my writing and what I have been up to over the summer.

As some people may or may not know, I am currently in the process of writing my second novel, The Unusual Isles (description can be found on the page).

I have spent a lot of my summer finishing/editing this novel. I have been working on it for about two years now, and I do have to admit that I have become very invested into this book quite a lot more that I did The Year of the Elephant (the first book I wrote) 

A few weeks ago, I asked my aunt to edit it for me, and I am currently going over my draft and correcting all of the errors she pointed out. I plan on finishing this second read over within the next few days, just because I start school soon and the free time I will have to spend on the book will greatly decrease.

I am also very active on a website called Figment, which is an online writing community. Earlier this summer I participated in a competition called "America's Next Great Author Vol. 2" and made it all the way to the fifth round (mainly because I was on vacation and could not submit my entry for the week). I would like to congratulate Andrew, who ended up winning the competition. He is an amazing writer and really deserved to win. I would also like to give a shout-out to all of my fellow competitors and new friends I made while participating in this competition including Cierra, Tierra, Elizabeth, Hannah, Lacy, Sam, Brittney, and Kalia. All of them are extremely talented writers and I wish them the best of luck in the future.

I would also like to thank the judges J, Tina, Alexandra, and Erica for giving me feedback on my work. They have really helped me to become a better writer and I greatly appreciated their critiques.

I am also currently participating in another writing competition called "Figment's Got Talent", which is just getting under way. I have also submitted an application for another competition called "The Imaginarium's First Ever Writing Scrimmage".

In terms of smaller projects I am working on, I have a few ideas for poems I would like to write. This includes a collection of haikus I would really like to write. I also have been brainstorming about a collection of short stories I like to call "Fairy Tales for the Modern Day".

Also, as Nanowrimo quickly approaches, I am still debating on what I should write for it, or if I should even participate in it at all.

So that is what I have been up to this summer! Hopefully I will be able to continue to write during the school year, and publish my second novel. Keep checking back for more updates from me!

~ K.M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment