Sunday, November 9, 2014

Update 11



Oh wow, it seems as if I’ve taken quite a large hiatus from updating this blog and I do greatly apologize for that. However, I’ve been incredibly busy lately and this blog and my writing have really taken a backseat to everything else going on right now.
            For starters, I started college this fall and my classes and school work for that obviously comes first for me. I wouldn’t even say that the work load if currently worse that what I’ve had in high school, but it’s just different and I’ve been adjusting to that. I’m only in class for about eleven hours a week, compared to the thirty five I’m used to in high school, but college does require a lot of work outside of class. I do also work about 18 hours each week, which still doesn’t add up to the amount of time I spent in school during high school, but it keeps me busy.
            Being completely honest, I’ve developed what I would call a new mindset now that I’ve hit college and writing is becoming less and less important to me. I hate to admit it but it’s true. For those people who don’t know I’m pursuing a degree in biochemistry and I’ve now been spending more time thinking about what I’m going to do with my life. I’ve had to think about what I am going to do doing once I’m done with my degree and what things I need to start doing now in order to get to be successful later. I’ve recently been offered a job as a lab assistant which I’m hoping will help me obtain jobs in the future. I’ve had to think about what kind of jobs I can get once I graduate and if it’s possible to also go into graduate study while I have a job. I’ve also had to consider for the first time what I would do it I would have to move out of state, something I’ve never even considered before, since the best paying jobs in my field are all in different states. I’m slowly trying to develop a plan for my future and I’m having a hard time trying to fit writing into that plan.
            Part of my lack of recent writing is a lack of inspiration on my end. I want to get away from writing young adult literature and try my hand at writing something that had meaning to it, but I’m having a hard time trying to think of something I would enjoy writing. I’m also having trouble writing the stories I’ve already started, in particular The Unusual Isles sequel. Since there seems to be a lack of interest in the book itself, even within my friends and family, I’m very, very, hesitant to continue writing the sequel I have planned out. With the sequel to The Unusual Isles, the book would be pointless without having read the first book, and if nobody has read the first book, what’s the point of writing the sequel? I wanted to put my concentration and focus into another novel or even short story that could stand by itself, and would then have a chance at being successful and interesting. The problem with those stories is that although I am in love with the plot lines, I’m having a hard time putting the story down on paper through characters that I’m having a hard time connecting with. I could easily write the sequel to The Unusual Isles because I am already so invested into the story and the characters, but if nobody else it, I don’t see the point in writing the book, which I honestly find heart breaking.
            I am very surprised with myself that I’ve ended up reaching this point with my writing. In the summer I just came from a huge personal victory in my writing after my experience in ANGA. My writing had improved a ton and I thought that would give me the motivation to write more. However, even since ANGA ended, my writing career and self-motivation just ended up entering a downhill spiral.
            As of right now, I don’t know what I’m going to do any more. I don’t know if The Unusual Isles sequel will ever be written, or any of the other novels I had planned. And I don’t know if I will even end up finishing another novel again.

~K.M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment