Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Extra! Extra! Nanowrimo

You heard me right. National Write a Novel in November is soon approaching, and the question is still looming over my head, should I participate in it this year?

For those of you who are not familiar with what Nanowrimo is, it is when authors push themselves to write a 50,000 word novel in one month over the course of the month of November.

Firstly, I would like to give credit to everyone who can actually complete Nanowrimo. You people have wonderfully talent and deserve to be appreciated more.

Having tried doing this before, I would like to say that this is a very hard thing to do, especially for me. I am not the type of writer who can just keep writing and writing, but I’m the kind of author who goes back and edits parts I don’t like or fix plot elements that don’t make sense, while I’m in the writing process, which makes Nanowrimo very hard to do.

I had originally planned on doing to before, having part of a novel planned out, but I decided that it probably wouldn’t work considering I tried the same thing the past two years and hadn’t gotten past the first 500 words.

I then was going to set myself a personal goal instead of following the main Nanowrimo goal. Instead of writing a 50,000 word novel, I was just going to write 50,000 words in general, whether that have been short stories, poems, blog posts, or the start of a new novel.

The idea however occurred before I had started school when I realized that attempting anything close to Nanowrimo would be nearly impossible. With my school work, I don’t have much time to do anything anymore. I barely have time to edit The Unusual Isles or keep up on this blog for that matter, so writing a 50,000 word novel is just not even something in my grasp this year.

So long story short, am I doing Nanowrimo this year? No. Hopefully next year though, and hopefully one year in the future, I’ll actually complete it.

~K.M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment