Sunday, February 8, 2015

Update 12



Hey everyone! So I know I’ve been gone for a while. If you missed my last update I stated that I would be taking a break from writing for a little bit. However, I am now here to inform everyone that my break is over, at least mostly over.
            I think one of the reason I got so discouraged from writing was because I began comparing myself to other authors. Ones who work on five books at a time,  get signed to a publishing company, have their own editing services, make their own covers, have their own websites, and still manage everyday life. It was when I finally realized that I couldn’t compare myself to them that I decided I wanted to get back into writing.
            I love writing, and I don’t want to stop doing it. However, I am not able to put as much time into it as some other indie writers. I am a full time college student who also works twenty hours a week. If that isn’t enough, there’s also other things I want to spend time doing which include going to practice for my acapella group, spending time improving my drawing skills (I’ve gotten really into art recently), playing games on my 3DS, and of course writing. I can’t devote 100% of my time to writing. In reality I can probably only manage to focus about 8% or less of my time on my writing. But I’m ok with that for now.
            Being a writer involves so much more than just simply writing books. It’s almost like a second career where you have to market yourself and make connections, and keep updating your blog which I know I don’t do enough. They’re all thing I’m willing to do, but probably not to the extent of most other authors.
            For the time being, I’m going to stick to only one or two projects at a time. It takes me a long time to actually finish a novel because sometimes when I sit down to write, I only get a couple hundred words out, but that’s ok. I don’t need to rush anything. I would rather put out work that I’m proud of in three years than some crap I rushed through in three months.
            I will be informing everyone of what my new projects are in the near future, so stay tuned, because I promise I will be around a little more often.

~K.M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment