Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Book Recommendations: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseni


Although this isn’t normally a young adult book, it is still one of my favorites and I recommend it to anyone who is a young adult or older.

I actually had to read this as a school book originally. We had to write a research paper on a book from an approved list of books all by American authors. The Kite Runner happened to be one of those books, and I choose to read it, like a majority of my class did.

Not only did I write probably the best paper I’ve ever written before on this book, but I also had fun writing it as well, but that’s beside the point. Let’s get back to the actual book.

Now, unlike probably a lot of my classmates, this book left a long lasting impression on me. The writing was just beautiful, as was the story line in general, and even though the story wasn’t based on true events, I felt like the characters were real, and the author did an amazing job of developing the characters and giving them realistic personalities.

Although I’m not really sure what is was about this book that made me like it so much, I think it was basically this author’s style of writing. The writing just came across as very real and emotional, and I think it really helped to get the point he wanted to get across to the reader.

I also had a personal connection with this book because of the *SPOILER ALERT* adoption elements of the book. Being internationally adopted myself I think helped me to connect to the book more so than other people would have. Although my personal experiences don’t match up with those of the character who was adopted, it helped me realize what a lot of adopted kids go though in real life made me feel lucky because I didn’t have to go through that.

One thing in particular that I really liked about this book was the main character Amir. I just loved following his story throughout the book, from child to adult, and watching him develop as a character. His character development is one of the most important and interesting aspects of the book, and the author does a great job of developing Amir as a character. It’s almost like the reader is growing up with him.

Like I said before, I’m not really sure what else to say about this book or why I really liked it other than I thought it was really good. This was by far one of the best books I’ve ever read and I highly recommend it to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment