Friday, September 13, 2013

Young Adult Literature Today: Paranormal Romance

Note: These are my personal opinions and I do not mean to offend anyone in anyway.
Whenever you walk into the young adult section of the book store, it’s hard not to notice that giant wall of paranormal romance books that take up probably about half of the section. From Twilight with vampire and werewolves to The Mortal Instruments filled with demons and shadow hunters to Torment and Hush Hush about fallen angles, the paranormal romance genre dose cover many different type of creatures. However, after a while, most of the stories start to blur together and all stat to sound the same.
I mean come on, realistically how many stories can you read about a girl torn between two unbelievably attractive vampires, or about a girl who wants to help her “fallen angel” boyfriend redeem himself. Not to mention that fact that almost all paranormal romance books include love triangles, which are one of the most overused and cliché literary devices in young adult literature.
I am actually very disappointed that the paranormal romance section in bookstores is as large as it is. In my eyes, you’ve read one, and you’ve read them all. Sure, most people claim that all of those stories are “different” from one another, when in reality; the names are just changes and some minor plot devices. And maybe some random thing is thrown in there to make the relationship between the main character and their love interest awkward like “I can’t go out with him because he’s my best friend’s ex” or “I can’t go out with him because he’s half demon” or by far one of the most annoying one’s I’ve seen: “I can’t date him because I think he might be my bother”  (those of you who have read the book I’m referring to, will know what I’m talking about).
I do not in any way want to discredit the authors of paranormal romance books because they do have a lot of skill, and writing romance novels are probably their strong point, which is why those books are so well written. They have to also be very creative in order to create the fantasy world that their character live in. However, paranormal romance authors do seem to fall into a rut when it comes to the story line. All different type of paranormal romance from vampires to demons to witches seem to fall into the same rut with either a love triangle or some awkward circumstance that keeps the two lovers apart.
In my opinion, if you are an upcoming writer of paranormal romance, write about something new and creative like fairies or something; you don’t see a lot of paranormal romance books about fairies. Please try to stay away from the clichéd and over used thing like fallen angles and vampires, especially vampires. I think the world had enough vampire novels to last a lifetime.
 I honestly don’t get the obsession over vampires. Yeah, I’m in love with this guy but he’s a vampire and he might drink my blood and happens to be 100 years older than me but that’s okay because he’s super hot. Yeah, makes total sense.  Going and doing something as stupid as falling in love with a vampire is a great way to get yourself killed, or at least mortally injured.  It’s also a bit creepy.
So I’m sorry if I offended anyone who is a fan of the paranormal romance genre, but these are just my personal opinions on them.  The next time you pick up a paranormal romance book, just take the time and think about other books you’ve read and how they might share some or a lot of similarities. And I’m not saying this is just with the paranormal romance genre, it’s true of many other genres as well, but paranormal romance is the one that stuck out the most to me.  But hey, if like reading it, then go ahead a read it, because in the end, all that matters is reading a book that you enjoy. 

~K.M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment